Monday, November 09, 2009

Grudge

I've just got news of an estranged family friend who collapsed over the week with a mild stroke. He and his girlfriend used to spend all festivities and even Chinese New Year with us in Ipoh. That was until a misunderstanding about 2 years ago. Things were never the same and we kept our distance.

He had a mild stroke and was in the ICU. As soon as I heard, I called up mom and asked if she'd want see her godson. So we trotted off to Pantai hospital on Sunday afternoon. I could tell Mom was nervous but I kept her mind busy with endless chatter. As soon as we got to his ward, it was most emotional as my mom saw his girlfriend (also mom's goddaughter) and they started hugging each other trying to hold their tears back. Even I could not control my tears as the sight of him was unbearable. He was not his usual mighty and confident self, confined to the hospital bed. He was slurring and trying his best to explain himself. He threw in a laugh here and there, and tried his level best to stay alert.

We shared a light moment with his parents just chatting and sharing stories and jokes. We've never met them before, and they've never met their son's 'other family' that he spends CNY with.

I guess one could and should not hold a grudge to one's deathbed. Afterall, any religion would tell you to forgive and forget. I believe he did what he did out of desperation and if we were indeed 'family', then let's take it that it was a dreadful mistake and that he's paid his dues with sufferings. I think that's enough punishment. What you think?

1 comment:

BabyBandit said...

oh dear...is he alright? still lucid right?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...