Monday, April 02, 2007

Ching Ming Blues


It's the Ching Ming festival right about this time. It's a chinese ritual that all us chinese people follow since a long time ago. Many of us were stuck in the frightful traffic jam last nite but all for a good cause.

Some members of the extended family are Christians so year in year out, you see them and they as usual clean the tombstone, they do everything else but placing the joss-stick at the altar. I wonder if the Bible actually says that thou shall not place joss stick or maybe it states that one who believes in Christianity shall not embrace other customaries and rituals of other religions.

I sit on the fence on this I guess. For them to even show up to pay their respects to their ancestors is already good enough. On the other hand, joss stick-handling does not make you any less Christian.

I hate to say this, but I do say this to everyone who preaches to me about Christianity (for some reason, no Buddhist follower ever lured me to their side before) that for all you know, we're all praying to the same God. Why the hell do we all look the same if we had different gods?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

To place jossticks in a temple to the Gods is a no for me but placing jossticks at a funeral or at a tomb.. yes. Why? This is just to show respect to the dead. Thats all. Nothing more.

Even my grannies who are christians buy jossticks and red candles for their parents and in-laws... so.. it is just a respect to the dead.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I do agree with what you have said. I hate it when people preach to me too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...