Thursday, December 21, 2006

Career Choices-

Had some serious talk last night with my friends on their career choices at SOMO (thumbs up). One was deciding which job offer to take up, a commercialized job cum long working hours cum drinking-like-a-fish unlimited sessions or a stable eye-opener cum good salary cum professional MNC fish. Another one was still contemplating after 1 year whether to continue slaving in the father's company with minimal pay with no financial freedom or to slave for others-putting himself out there in the working class market again. Not that I'm in any favourable position to advice but this is what I think. Know what you want and stay focused. Ultimately you want to be reaching YOUR goals. The rest are just accessories. Assess your strengths and weaknesses, if the new job helps you to enhance your strengths, go for it. If the new job helps you to overcome the weaknesses, go for it. But always it has to be in line with your career goals. Told my other friend to get it together, stop procrastinating and start taking charge of his life. 1 year is like a trial and error session. If it's not working out, move on. Coming into a family business without prior substantial experience you'll find yourself trapped in the china-man ways of running a business. What with globalization, global sourcing, infomedia, IT, the world is getting smaller and smaller- we have to mould ourselves to take advantage of that situation and not swerve away from it with closeminded chinaman thinking. Survival of the fittest- it gets harder and harder not unless you make it work for you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think as we grow older, we start to look at jobs from a job satisfaction point of view and no longer the money. Of course, the money helps, but like you said, you want to be reaching your goals of being contented with life's offerings. Job is secondary. Life is first.

tihtahpah said...

HAHAH..*clap clap* well said!

Anonymous said...

It's ok to make getting more money as a goal, just don't pursue it to the expense of other, more important things... or you could just end up with a fat wallet and an empty spirit ;)

katherinerine said...

Hey. I haven't had time to go through all of your writing yet, but from this post, it strikes me that you might benefit from the route I took to finding job satisfaction- I took a personality test that REALLY gave me insight into what would work for me. Since then, I've been following a very different route, and I'm so happy. If you are interested, let me know, and I'll give you the information I've got on my job coach and test (and it was cheap too!!). Uhh...I'm not totally comfortable leaving my email address here, so maybe leave me a message on my blog, and then I'll get back to you: www.katsinindia.blogspot.com
Cheers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...