Thursday, January 18, 2007

What's the Point of Having A Meeting?

I sat through a 3 hour monthly meeting yesterday morning. 3 freaking hours. All I could think of was what the hell am I doing there. People dont respect the meeting at all. They come in late. Or they come in without any whatsoever thing prepared. When the presenters are presenting the current month's issues, people are walking in and out of the meeting room. Sad to say, even though attended by the top management staff, not all asked the RIGHT questions. Nobody bothered to get down to the gist of the matter. Nobody cared enough. But then how could they, when all they could think of was how to taichi and charkuayteow......How to push the blame to other depts...How to manipulate the situation to benefit oneself....When questioned or probed, the standard answer is always "I'll get back to you on that when I get back to my office", "Ask this this this dept, dont ask me", "I need to check on that, let you know later", hence no decision is ever made.
I once commented to a GM that he should really consult other depts for countermeasure and action plan before presenting it to the meeting. Get it all finalized and agreed upon before coming to a meeting, because you're presenting issues from the month before. And again, I commented the same thing to another person in the meeting yesterday. That's not the only thing that I see myself repeating myself over and over again. A lot of people charkuayteow and I did point out a charkueyteow gone bad....and yet, it was repeated again yesterday. Eh..come on la. Charkueyteow also need skills ok. Dont charkueyteow and kena tangkap, can or not. It really insults our intelligence ok. If I don't say anything how does it reflect on the meeting huh? You think the Internal Quality Auditors cannot detect meh. Cover all areas and ur ass when you Charkueyteow ok.
I truly believe to have an effective meeting, the chairman's gotta be strong, decisive, and agenda-focused. Don't entertain wishy-washy excuses and dilly-dallying....arghhhh... that really annoys me. Being the youngest there sometimes I can only take instructions but nowadays I have to taichi also. Or else, I damn not free coz doing other people's work! So tell me, are u having an effective meeting at work?

4 comments:

Joash Chan said...

Attended tons of those meetings... I think it has much to do with the chairperson, don't ya think?

tihtahpah said...

truly agree...if the chairman is weak, the meeting is weak..

Anonymous said...

The prep work is important too. Meeting chair should make sure everyone is clear about the agenda, and attendees should prepare for the meeting. So no stupid questions and time-wasting explanations of stuff that should have already been researched PRIOR to the meeting.

tihtahpah said...

yar..a lot of time is wasted on superfluous questions....
especially HODs who doesnt know what's happening in their own dept. *groan*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...