Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Keeping the Essence

So my family is not the most traditional Chinese family, but every year we celebrate the 'Pai Tien Kung" in good ole Ipoh. Family and friends gather waiting for the time to do prayers. While doing so, the house is with a CONSTANT supply of food. My mom mentioned something not long ago that it's always good to have abundant food and not lack of food because it shows generosity and happiness. When I arrived in Ipoh at 2pm, there was already some homemade Lam Mee (ipoh style) and Wu Tau Kou, my mom's friends happily playing mahjong. The day stretched on and some aunties brought more food. By night time, there was too much homemade stuff and 2 roasted pigs waiting to be butchered by my mom. It was nice to see familiar faces, my mom's ex-colleagues and got somewhat acquainted with my dad's mahjong kakis. It wasn't really about gambling, I guess waiting to do prayers in a group is better than doing it alone. The celebration in my place is pretty small scale since my family is not business-orientated anyway. The cleaning up was horrendous , and so we (the kids) rant and rant, but we gladly do it anyway. So, if anyone drops by in Ipoh next year during this time, feel free to visit me.. or for some free roasted pork!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...