Tuesday, February 06, 2007

My Iron Ring

This is no ordinary ring, to be precise it is actually a stainless steel ring but it's called the IRON RING- worn by Canadian engineers. Upon graduating, the engineer students go through what they call the Ritual of the Calling of an Engineer. We are given an obligation number- it is a hush-hush and solemn affair where the event is not to be spoken of. Legend has it that the iron ring was made from steel from the Quebec bridge that collapsed because of poor engineering (civil to be exact :)) so...the Iron Ring means much more than just a graduation ring, it is symbolic to the engineering ethics and our obligation to society. It is usually worn on the little finger. I sometimes wear it as a pendant.... But no matter how we wear it, wear it with pride :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

*yawns*

Sebastiane said...

It's my first time hearing about this ritual. Thanks for sharing.

(:

Anonymous said...

2nd time now. And wiki is your friend :D

Wiki Iron Ring linky

Herman Chew said...

I used to have one too.. I'd lost it.. thought i could get one that look exactly like one (I remembered I saw that kind of design somewhere in some pasar malam)... ya.. I missed wearing it..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...