Friday, February 02, 2007

Leave the Originals Alone

I think I wrote sometime ago about original version of a song vs the new /pop/ remix versions. Some remakes are wonderfully done like Marty Casey's attempt to do Creep by Radiohead. And then just recently over a karaoke session, found many English songs being re-sung by Chinese singers. I do have the utmost respect for Chinese singers, but really, they should not touch the songs at all. They should really stick to what they're good at, singing Cantonese/Mandarin songs coz that's their forte. Chinese singers have a tendency to sing the words syllable by syllable. Our stress marks on the words differ, or we don't have it at all. Our intonation is also different. Not even talking about the accent just yet. Stephanie Sun's attempt to do Sometimes Love Just Ain't Enough, Hey Jude, Silent All These Years is commendable, but the originals were way better, I'm sorry. And Sometimes Love Just Ain't Enough is a duet song! And Hey Jude's meant to be sung to a woman! And that pretty much sums up what is lacking - PASSION. You can't fully grasp a song if you don't mean or know what you're singing! And here's leaving you with one of my favourite song...Just When I Needed You Most: original artist~Randy VanWarmer. No remakes by any Chinese artist I hope....

You packed in the morning
I stared out the window
And I struggled for something to say
You left in the rain without closing the door
I didn't stand in your way
Now I miss you more
Than I missed you before
And now where I'll find comfort,
God knows
'Cause you left me
Just when I needed you most
Yes, You Left Me Just when I needed you most

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Correction - Just When I Needed You Most was made popular by Randy Vanwarmer. Dolly Parton did a remake! :-P

tihtahpah said...

yalaryalar
you're right

Anonymous said...

Where's my Kilkenny?

Anonymous said...

But I like Nirvana's version of "The Man Who Sold The World" more than David Bowie's original version.

Anonymous said...

I do agree very much with you. They should leave those songs alone because original songs have acertain meaning to it. Doing it as a cover is not going to work or even changing it to Chinese words would not work as well.

(:

tihtahpah said...

endroo: there are some notable remakes...but Chinese singers trying to do english songs are the worst i think..not even jacky cheung can pull it off.
kyels: makes me wonder if they really know what the song is all about sometimes..or are they just mouthing the lyrics hoping to hit the charts just because the song SOUNDs nice

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...