Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Sake??

Nope..I'm not a sake enthusiast...I only had it because it was free during my waitressing days in New Jersey. Once a month we would have sake-tasting sessions and wine-tasting sessions..i was in glee. Our 'teacher" would teach us how to describe the sake and at what temperature it should be served. Visit typesofsake for different classification of sake. After the session, where we were all half drunk, we were told that we get USD1 for every bottle of sake/wine we sell. That seemed a lot at that time :)


For the untrained sake drinkers, I always recommended this one : Meibo YowanaTsuki- Junmai Ginjyo sake. For one thing, the bottle looks nice and the sake is light with a mineral and fruity feel.
My bartender then..he gets a little creative sometimes and take a bit of this sake to make a Sake-Tini..garnished with cucumber.




It's kinda odd but in Jersey City where I worked, the gwailos are sticklers to their favourite food or drink. They'll come in week after week having the same stuff - irregardless what the specials were. And there was one particular customer, who told me he was in the Vietnam war(showed me his scars...cool) and he always had the Otokoyama. It was kinda dry and burns slightly.

I knew my "sake" days were over when I came back here. You can actually get sake at Jaya Jusco but I've sniffed for some info from the Japs living here that the selection is not so good- plus it's way overpriced. Think I'll just stick to regular beer.....!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...