Monday, March 26, 2007

Chinese Dialect Deficiency

Just recently someone asked if i can speak or understand mandarin. Unfortunately my vocabulary is limited and hence i i dont half understand what people say most of the time. Despite attending POL (People's Own Language) classes since i was 9 till 15 i still don't get Mandarin. if you ask me, it is the hardest language to learn but most would say arabic is the hardest since it is more complicated.
But i must say that i do regret not being able to speak mandarin. I had to get by with my somewhat pathetic cantonese. Yar, my cantonese isn't that good either. Sometimes in a conversation, some metaphors or simpulan bahasa my frens use, i don't really understand. Half the time i'm trying to figure out just what they said or just pretend that i understand.
I have perhaps missed out on about 3 good job opportunities in China because I can't speak mandarin. So yeah, I do have regrets. I tried to learn by listening to cantonese and mandarin songs. That lasted for only a while because i can't really stand the monotonous, mechanical, predictability of cantonese/mandarin songs. If it wasn't for karaoke, I probably wouldnt have somewhat improved my vocabulary. Learning a word a day might just do me some good.
Ok..so maybe i can sing a song or two in mandarin/cantonese, but i still can't utter a complete sentence in mandarin for the love of gawd! i was in Taiwan last year and some street vendors got somewhat pissed off that i couldnt converse with them in mandarin. Or Hukkien.
Having said that, me not knowing Cantonese/Mandarin doesnt make me any less Chinese than the chinese-ed people. I dont idolize the west. Some smart ass thinks that we refuse to learn mandarin because we look down on it. Or that we are snobbish. I just think some people just a higher ability to be language proficient especially Mandarin. I happen to be someone who is just not so good in Mandarin. It's no crime, right?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

will teach you what i know of Cantonese.

"ngo oi lei".

Sebastiane said...

Of course it does not matter; not all of us know everything either.

(:

Anonymous said...

tai ka jie i tell u wat..
there is alwayz a higher expectation set upon.
so wat if i can speak nihongo mandarin AND canto? ppl still ask DO U KNOW HOW TO WRITE EM DOWN? if u dont u r a banana..so rub it.no big deal not knowin a nut.
i rather i dont know any canto or mandarin and ppl call me banana rather than i knew how to speak and yet got commented. fark

tihtahpah said...

belle: we can never win! but really, i ought to at least learn how to speak mandarin. a word a day would do. :)

Anonymous said...

Haha, when you start to like Karaoke it means you are in China for too long!
I'm just like you!
I'm trying to learn those chinese songs!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...