Friday, March 09, 2007

PANTANG

In the midst of the chinese new year celebration, there were many pantang incidents that I wasn't aware of until recently. For one, my fren's mother passed away and as usual I offered the 'white kam'. THey asked me if I pantang or not. Pantang? Whether to attend the funeral is up to us but usually people do not give 'white kam'. Forwatever logic I'm not sure. Also during the cny celebration, most christians do not place the joss-sticks. That I know. But I didnt know that they can't eat the food offered to the gods during prayers. Food wor. I believe that food offerings is just an act to show respect or to usher the good luck and fortune. Superstition or belief I'm not sure. All I know is that food is glorious and we should not reject it just because one religion is not synchronized with another. In fact, instead of pantang this and pantang that, we ought to reunite these religions. Afterall, don't they all teach unity and harmony with your neighbours? I'm sure that SHOULD mean harmony with people with other beliefs as well. Some pantangs are also madeup by people who didn't know better. I think that's some form of abuse of religion for power. And i think these pantangs were made up by people because of fear. So this coming Ching Ming apamacam? Got any pantangs?

7 comments:

Sebastiane said...

What I know of is that one cannot simple speak of anything when at the cemetery. Hee.

Zamri said...

Malaysian people rich of pantang... even if cut you nails at night also the have the pantang... what to say they have a lot of experience to live in this world...

Anonymous said...

don step on "ppl"'s house

wahhahahaah
once my bro did and he got nightmare 7 days straight untill he pray and said sorry

Anonymous said...

The cut nails thing I believe is from olden days when lighting and cutting tools weren't so good, you may cut yourself

Anonymous said...

Even though I'm not a Chinese, I always join my in law for ChingMing except when I'm pregnant or having that time of the month. Both are my own personal pantang but I think others do the same too.

zewt said...

if christians take those food as food... and not a thing that carries a blessing, then it's fine. but there are christians who are very very very hardcore... thus they follow everything. i am not one of them.

Anonymous said...

I remember the 1st Commandment.. " you shall not have any other God besides me". So, a Christian it is normal for us not to place joss stick to pray other God. But if its a funeral and I'm there to pay my last respect, I will place the joss stick. Well, placing joss stick for the dead one is not praying... its just a farewell ritual according to his/her religion.

Btw, didn't I whacked the roast pork and angku after the prayer/offering?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...